2013 has been one of the most interesting of my life.
It has been my first year as a full-time freelancer and it’s been a heady mix of push, jump and leap. Thankfully I’ve fallen on my feet some what.
Over the course of the year, I covered Europe, Middle East and Africa for CNN Travel; co-authored a cookbook with the chef at Hunan restaurant (published by Random House, out in March 2014); created a small blog empire with In Pursuit of Food, IPOF Travel and Amateur Wine; celebrated the first birthday of Life in Luxury, which I founded late in 2012; and made a presentation on Chinese food at San Sebastian Gastronomika for an auditorium full of chefs and culinary students.
But New Years are all about looking forwards. With the start of every new year come the hopes and dreams of a new beginning. For 2014, I’d like to see more of the same, only bigger and better.
Here are a few of the things I’d like to do this year:
- author another book, perhaps a cookbook, perhaps a novel
- finally share some of my own food at a supper club
- learn more about wine, especially about dessert and sparkling wines
- see more places, not just for their food but also their other charms
- write, for the love of writing, and passionately, eloquently and unreservedly
That’s all I have time for now – must get a move on, on that to do list.
P.S. Happy New Year and welcome to my new blog on journalism and other happenings.